This is my 2nd choice project. It is approximately 4.5" in height and 6" in diameter. It is glazed with a glaze that I made and named "Tiffany Blue". It was requested by the ladies. I did not employ any new techniques while making this project. One art element present in this project are the lines on the outside of the bowl. This gives the bowl a layered appearance that doesn't seem like it was made on the wheel; however, it is still symmetrical and looks good.
This is my first choice project. It is approximately 9" in height and 5" in diameter. It is glazed with a dark blue that I made myself by simply combining cobalt carbonate with clear glaze. Making this glaze was a new technique that I used while making this project. I have never added a simple compound to clear glaze before and yielded such a strong color. One art element present is simplicity. The shape of the overall project is simplistic, and this pairs nicely with the simplistic glaze. All in all, it makes it nice to look at.
This is my lidded project. It is about 4" in height and 5" in diameter. It is glazed with metallic brown, white, and a scrap. One new teqhnique I used while making this project was the making of a lid with a handle on it, sort of like a planter. One art element present in this project are the glazes. I glazed the first layer white so that when I put the layer of scrap on it would drip down, giving the appearance of water. This contrasted nicely with the earthy metallic brown.
This is my set of three. As one can see, they all share the same shape and glaze style, but they are different in size and glaze color. The largest is about 8" in height and 5.5" in diameter, and the smallest is about 4.5" in height and 4" in diameter. The tallest is glazed burnt orange; the medium of the three is glazed turquoise matte, and the smallest is glazed with a scrap. One new technique I employed while making this set of three was choking; I had to choke the neck very carefully in order to create the elongated top. One art element present is contrast. I only glazed the top half of the projects, leaving the bottom half just bisque clay. This creates a shiny/matte contrast that makes the piece more aesthetically appealing.
This is my wheel altered project. It started as a porcelain bowl about 6" in diameter and 5" in height. It is glazed with a burnt orange and a metallic brown. One new skill I used during the making of this project was the actual throwing of porcelain and then the altering of the bowl. One art element present in this project is the use of color and glazes. Did to the shape of the project, I wanted to create a fire like aspect since flames share the same alteration. To do this I glazed the bowl with the burnt orange all over and then dipped the top into the metallic brown. Due to the density of the brown glaze, it sank into the orange and dropped down the bowl, creating several fire-like hues and a backdrop for the orange flames to appear on.
This is my second plate of the two. It is about 7" in diameter and is glazed with a pale honey and matte brown mix, a glaze that I made myself. It also has a simple moon and flower etched into its surface. That is one new technique I utilized while making this project: etching, not drawing. One art element present in this project is the contrast of the two glazes. I first glazed it with the matte brown and then washed it off, leaving behind distinct outlines of the etchings. After that I dunked the plate in the pale honey glaze. This element helps to distinguish the etchings from the actual plate itself.
This is the first of my two plates; the other is currently in the bisque kiln. It is 7" in diameter and about 1.5" in height (bottom to top of rim). It is a smooth texture throughout, glazed with a scrap blue and a blue containing rutile. Since making a plate only involves compressing the base of the clay and then raising the edges, I did not use any new techniques while making this plate. Art elements present in this project are the contrast of two different hues (light blue and scrap blue) and also the 3:4 ratio of colors. Though I thought this may have an aesthetic appeal, I do not really like it.
This is my tall project. It is approximately 8" in height and 4" in diameter at its widest point. It is glazed with a scrap that I prepared myself, and it has a smooth texture throughout. One new technique I used, though you can't see, while making this project is the engraving of pictures on the project. I learned to not carve or draw, but to etch out the pictures instead. One art element present in this project is its shape; it is narrow at the bottom, widens in the middle, and then narrows back out at the top. This is the same function many vases and other tall projects use, which is why I chose to implement it into my project as well.
This is my second bowl. This bowl is about 5.5" in diameter and about 5.5" in height. It has a smooth texture and is glazed with shadow green and a scrap glaze. One new skill and technique I experimented with and used during this project was the knuckle lift. One art element that I used in this project was the appealing ration of the glazes. It is about 3:2, which is naturally aesthetically pleasing to the human eye, and this is the type of feeling I was trying to foment in its viewers.